Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Problem with the Medical Industry

Here is what It hink needs to happen to make medical care more affordable:
People need to stop blaming others for things!

So, I bet you are think what is she talking about!
Well, I think the main reason costs are so high is because of malpractice insurance. Doctors, hospitals, etc are being sued so often that their insurance is high. As a result, they pass that cost on to us. Now, I am not saying we shouldn't be able to sue these people.groups. But, I think something needs to be done to make it so they aren't being sued in cases that nothing (within reason) could have been done. If the doctor followed standard procedure and something happened, then I don't think it is the doctor's fault. Now, if the doctor made a mistake or didn't follow standard procedure, then he/she should be sued.

I think lawyers are partly to blame (and not all lawyers - just some). Have you seen the commercials some of them have? They are just fishing for people with cases that could go to court. I bet they have a pretty large stake in these cases - receiving a good percentage of the award. Maybe legislation should be passed to set guidelines for lawyers?

I don't know exactly how we are going to get people to sue less, but if it were to happen, I bet medical costs would drop! Maybe then health insurance would be affordable! Maybe then a simple visit to the doctor wouldn't be so expensive!

(I am not a fan of socialized health care. I do not want the government controlling insurance, etc. See some of my comments on this back in November - after the election.)

No comments: