Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Chik-Fil-A vs. JcPenney

Well, if you haven't heard it already, Chik-Fil-A is being bashed because the CEO stated he agrees with traditional marriage and not with same-sex marriage.  Because of his statement, people are claiming that Chik-Fil-A hates gays, etc.  On a similar note, JcPenney included a two-father family in its recent Father's Day ad, which got a little bit of attention on the opposite side of things. 

What gets me really worked up is the word "hate."  I personally believe that marriage should only be between one man and one woman.  Does this mean I hate gays?  No.  I have extended family and co-workers that are homosexual.  I treat them just like anyone else.  I may not be as close to them (in the case of family - but I am not close to others in their same relationship either), but when I do see them, I don't treat them differently at all.  But, I feel that marriage (one man, one woman) is best.  And by saying that a same-sex relationship is the same, we are saying that they are equal. 

After much thought, I have decided that civil unions should be allowed and with the same benefits.  We can't force people to share our beliefs and live the lives we think is best.  It is no different that alcohol, cigarettes, etc in my book.  All are harmful to the individual, but it isn't the government's place to legislate them.  And the main reason is that the relationship doesn't hurt others.  It isn't infringing other other's well-being, so the government shouldn't step in.  But, as the same time, I want the word marriage to remain what is has been in the past- the union of one man and one woman.

By saying any of this, am I being hateful?  I don't think so.  But I guess everyone has the right to say what they want...

And if people who support homosexuality don't want to eat at Chik-Fil-A, that is their right.  I don't mind one bit!  That is a freedom we have. 


No comments: