Monday, July 13, 2009

Mission Trip VBS



Three years ago (2006), I went on our church's mini-mission trip to help with a VBS on an "Indian" Reservation about 3 hours away. This year, AJU5 and I went back. Three years ago, I didn't leave all emotional. Yes, I had a good time and enjoyed teaching the kids, but for one reason or another my emotions didn't get touched by the experience. This year, a little girl touched my heart! We only did a three day VBS this year because we were originally told the chapter house would be unavailable due to construction (they haven't started yet...). The first two days, this little girl cried half of the time. She wanted to be with her sister. So, my friend K would take her and the little ones that iddn't want to sit with the class out to play near the older group. On Day 3 while we were doing the openning songs, she sat at the table and started to look at my Bible. She stayed with the class until lunch time (there was free lunch at the chapter house for the kids that we didn't know about until we got there). By that point, we were done with the lesson and craft anyways. Just before she went to have lunch, I was able to give her a Bible of her own. I was holding back tears until all of the kids were gone that day. I cried when I retold the story Sunday at church. And tears are starting to fall now.

I don't know if I will go back next year. It all depends on how my kids are (i.e. traveling with a 7 month old and a 2.5 year old may not be wise). But, I do hope to go back! There is a chance she won't be there next year. The 4 and 5 year olds were missing this year, so we suspect there is a summer preschool program for them (I had 3 three year olds plus three of our own kids). Even if I don't go, I will be waiting for stories about her!

No comments: