Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Memorial Service

Sunday morning will be my grandmother's memorial service. She died 7 months ago, but because she chose to be cremated, we decided to wait until now to do the service so more of us could attend. I wasn't that close to my grandparents because I didn't see them that often. We moved over 1000 miles away when I was about 3 months old, and we never moved back. I remember her visiting about once a year and our visits up there occasionally. I remember letters and gifts from her and to her, but our relationship was little more than that.

Somehow I got "nominated" to do the Scripture reading at the service. I know God's hand is in this for sure! The majority of the family knows the Truth but has chosen to not accept it for themselves. I know one uncle, his wife, and two of their three kids (one of which won't be there) are saved, but the others we are unsure of. So, I think it is fitting that this uncle and I are the two doing the "Christian" portions of the service - the reading and the closing prayer.

But, this has made my choice of Scripture challenging. First, I only want to say what God would have me to say. So, I have been praying for about two months about what verses to say. Second, I want to chose a verse that has meaning but won't offend. I want a passage that will make those who haven't accepted Christ to think about their relationship with Him without closing any doors that might be cracked already. So, I have narrowed it down to three passages:
  • John 3:16-17
  • John 14:1-4
  • Romans 14:7-9
I emailed this list to my uncle (and she showed it to his wife). They like the Romans passage, but think reading all three would be fine too. So, I am leaving it in God's hands now. Hopefully He will make it clear what to read on Sunday. I know my uncle and aunt are praying for me. I know my church family here is praying as well as my husband. Hopefully through the service at least one seed will be planted.

No comments: