Thursday, September 25, 2008

Do Unto the Least of These...

The most common mp3s I listen to are my Andy Griffith CDs. One of the tracks is Andy telling "The Christmas Guest" story. THe story reminds that that of this verse:

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

A few verses later is this:

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:45

I have realized that I haven't reached out to these much. I am not rude to them, but I do not seek them out or make effort to get to know anyone that is very different from me in terms of socioeconomic status. I see the beggers on the street corners, but those that run the missions in town have recommended that we don't give them money. I have often thought about keeping some sort of non-perishable food in my car, but I haven't done so. With a little one now, I am more cautious as ever. So, know I need to pray and determine what course of action I should take. If you have any ideas how to serve "the least of these" while not putting yourself in any danger, please let me know!

No comments: