Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas

Is this the time of year Jesus was probably born? No. Does that mean we shouldn't celebrate His birth now? No. I believe (I could definitely be wrong) that is was during the time of Constantine that Christmas as we know it began. It was done to match a pagan holiday with the new Christian state religion. But, since we don't know for sure exactly when Christ was born (the Bible doesn't give a date specifically), why not celebrate it now?

Holiday comes from Holy Day. So, I don't have a huge problem with people saying Happy Holidays. But, I really don't like Seasons Greetings. The U.S. holiday is Christmas. So, why not call it that (especially after Hanukkah)?

Okay, back to the grind. Next week is the end of the term (so grading is CRAZY) and Sunday is my daughter's first birthday. Tomorrow is our church's holiday (Thanksgiving/Christmas) dinner, so I had to make some food for that today as well. It is definitely a busy time of the year!

No comments: